Fashion on a Shoestring

Ever wondered how you can keep wearing the latest fashion on a tight budget?
We are two Sydney girls with young families, ridiculous schedules and not much spare cash ... but we love fashion AND we love the challenge of looking great on a shoestring budget! Join us as we share our ideas.

Friday, August 25, 2006

New Season Panic Attack

Here's what happens to me - the days start to dawn just a little bit warmer, you can feel the sun on your face (where's the 30+ factor sunscreen and any hat not completely out of shape?) and there's a feeling of NEW- new season, new clothes, new LOOK ...... at which point fashion planet and all participating outlets and magazines obligingly go "ga ga" on these new looks, new trends, new colours and how YOU will look like a dodo if you aren't decked out head to toe by August 15. (For those women who don't suffer from this particular affliction, you are BLESSED.)

I then get a corresponding feeling of weakness because; a) I need to revamp the entire wardrobe as well as buy food and pay school fees, and nothing is adding up. b) more of the above.

I hashed out what I could live with already in the wardrobe (of course saying NOTHING - really loudly - doesn't work, unless you were pregnant last summer ... and even then ...) after which I succumbed to pressure and went shopping.

Here's what I (Kimberly) bought:

  • 1 pair of black capris,
  • 1 print floral shirt in that crushed cotton you need to dry twisted up,
  • 1 long sleeved stripey top - black and grey, though I later saw red and white which I liked better,
  • 1 pair black slides, on sale.
As I currently wear a lot of jeans and layered tops, these items can mix and match (love that phrase, so 70's). Also, I found from last summer a pair of wedges and a drill cotton long sleeved jacket, safari style.

The items listed cost about $200 in total. I would definitely say you could pick up the capri trousers or similar long shorts from Target for half the price I paid. Also, I plan to lengthen the wardrobe life of my swirly peasant-style skirts with a belt and cardi and longline T.

You may think all that fuss for what? But, along with a new bag - a present! - I now feel equipped to get through the next few months.

I shopped at chain stores in the mall, and while I love the idea of a trawl through markets I am way too strapped for time and nearly always have someone under 5 with me and that means shopping is a high energy - no messing around - byo coffee experience.

I love the idea of shopping online - and love surfing the net, being enticed -but be prepared to pay postage/delivery and maybe return it due to fitting issues ... unless you find a label or site you really trust. Anyone with such a find please share!

Feeling your way fashion wise into the new season is a precarious, but rewarding journey and does provide a certain escapism. As a fulltime mum at home escapism is big on my list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shop Around