Fashion on a Shoestring

Ever wondered how you can keep wearing the latest fashion on a tight budget?
We are two Sydney girls with young families, ridiculous schedules and not much spare cash ... but we love fashion AND we love the challenge of looking great on a shoestring budget! Join us as we share our ideas.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Got your Bag Girls?

In fashion I think we have personality types, not unlike the psychological profiles now required by any 21st century employer. You might be the shoe queen, unable to resist sales which fill your closet space with shoes you rarely wear. Maybe its lingerie, maybe its jewellery or t-shirts or vintages scarves. Or makeup - you buy the one or two items required for a free offer and thus your bathroom drawers are spilling out with sample night creams and lip gloss.

Or it might be bags. Handbags, totes, baskets, clutches, beaded evening purses. This is me - I'm a bag girl. Preferably larger bags; I'm tall enough and have the snail mentality where carrying your home or most of your makeup/books/glasses/diary/unpaid bills/phone/suncream etc is a priority. I love changing my bag depending on how I feel; if I'm wearing jeans but a different bag I feel so much better! ( I'm thinking as I read this that three kids at home for the last few years has caused some serious brain damage ... but you get the idea)

Actually I was thinking through the why of the bag fascination and I dont think its just about how much I can take round with me. The accessory is the complement to the outfit- not sure if I just made that up - and if my outfit is ordinary, (in my mind) then the bag takes on a whole new meaning as my defining fashion statement.

That all sounds very serious .. .but there are other people out there just like me, I know it. My daughters are showing signs of the same addiction - they carry round all sorts of stuff in tiny little pink bags, drawstring library style bags, store carriers, baskets etc. I read somewhere that there is a sort of status one can aspire to; if you can't have the whole look/label then having a great bag still indicates you are a mover and shaker.

So at all levels we can meet our fashion needs with a new bag! Of course those who feel this way about new china, linen, collectible perfumes, nailpolish, etc please bear with me.

Back to the new season ideas: In order to satisfy the bag mania I looked around for a few styles that are great for Spring '06. You can either break the bank or go budget but either way enjoy.

I looked mainly a good sized bags, white or tan, buckled, or otherwise decorated ... a variation on what designers have been sending down the catwalks for the last two seasons. These are bags that can carry luggage: while oversize looked good on the runways we don't necessarily want to be lugging anything requiring a trolley to assist. So thinking bigger but not OTT is best.

  • First off, Oroton have gorgeous salmon, creamy white or black, discreetly studded in a large hobo style- in very soft leather around $599.
  • Then I looked at a great store, Bag & Baggage, which holds all sorts of labels from Charlie Brown to Cosgrove and Beasley to Fiorelli. Excellent price range from $50 through to several hundred. Lovely squishy totes, enlarging on the bowling bag style, double strapped and buckled or even patchwork leather-look Hobos or smaller structured styles.
  • A favourite investment for me right now would be Witchery leather bags: round $189 for tan (like that pictured above) or black leather in sophisticated shapes and detailing.
  • At a shoestring end, we also love what's available at Strandbags ... good looking accessories ranging from evening purses, tote bags (pictured in white above), leather look handbags, hobo style- a huge variety and under $100.
Hopefully that helps fellow bag ladies. Do you have any questions or great finds - like Cellini Sport on ebay perhaps - please let us know.

To start off your spring wardrobe a tan or lighter colour bag with lots of details, incorporate cane with leather, mid-size to roomy, is another great way to revamp. I also have a pale blue bulky handbag with loud gold buckles which will be great fun with Ibiza style slides and a white sundress ... don't be afraid of colour girls! But that's another story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shop Around