Fashion on a Shoestring

Ever wondered how you can keep wearing the latest fashion on a tight budget?
We are two Sydney girls with young families, ridiculous schedules and not much spare cash ... but we love fashion AND we love the challenge of looking great on a shoestring budget! Join us as we share our ideas.

Monday, July 30, 2007

The DFO Experience

Many of you out there are no doubt veterans of the DFO (or Direct Factory Outlet) shopping venture.. but perhaps due to the kids and general time poor schedule, I have only just made it out there ... successfully!

Here's what I found: DFO at Homebush is best experienced without the kids and as early in the day as possible ... this combination is very thrilling and gives you a huge sense of achievement even if just for a quick fix.

I would recommend going with an idea of what you're looking for, as the stores are it. This is not department or mall shopping which is more enticing. I perused (among others) Esprit, Ojay, Nine West, Witchery, Ralph Lauren, Oroton, Table Eight, Charlie Brown, (Just Jeans closed for that morning) and found that while you are facing huge bargains, many stores also are precisely as described - outlets - which means they are carrying stock that could be up to 6 months old.

This is not a big deal, but if you are looking to save on very recent items, then sales in-store are best. I found Witchery carried a very tired looking stock, and Table Eight was mayhem ... bit like a hurricane had been through with all sorts of cheap, if cheerful cotton pieces. Sales at Ralph Lauren and Ojay mirrored their recent in-store ones but again, you needed to be purposeful.

Esprit had a great range of sale items and current coats and jackets. I liked their stock best and would go there again. Marcs also had a more current range and great prices too.

Truthfully, I could have shopped for a few more hours but I did come out with a gorgeous winter jacket from Esprit, dress from Ojay, shoes and bag ( half price) from Nine West ... then I remembered I have children who may need dinner that night.

Great fun, but definitely go with a list of items to check off and the possibility that you may have to compromise, if not on price then on choice. Anyone with more time and focus than me would have even more luck!

2 Comments:

At 9:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi hun,

I would love to go to DFO and see for myself. Can I ask - what day is the best day to go to DFO ? When do they restock or get new stock in ? I would think Monday or Tuesday right ?

THanks
Lulu

 
At 12:26 pm, Blogger Chrissy said...

Hi Lulu

Probably Wednesday would be the best day as they usually restock during Monday and Tuesday. If a lot of stock comes in, it could take the two days, but if there are only a few boxes, it's done by the end of Monday. Also, weekends are usually frantic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shop Around