Fashion on a Shoestring

Ever wondered how you can keep wearing the latest fashion on a tight budget?
We are two Sydney girls with young families, ridiculous schedules and not much spare cash ... but we love fashion AND we love the challenge of looking great on a shoestring budget! Join us as we share our ideas.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Shopping in your Own Closet each Season

I've never liked throwing out my old clothes. They're just too valuable! I prefer to keep them and use them when they're back in fashion.

Over the years I have given away a lot of clothes to family or friends. Sometimes my mother would take them home and disperse as she saw fit or (much to my recent delight) keep some of the better pieces for a later date. With this discovery, I have reclaimed some classics which are quickly becoming an integral part of my wardrobe. This year it has been; black peeptoe slingback platforms, a classic beige trench coat that looks very Burberry, and the original Ray Ban Wayfarers (all in great condition).

So when I read Kathleen Fifield's article called "Shop Your Own Closet" in July 2006's InStyle I felt vindicated! Finally, an article in a fashion magazine which doesn't suggest throwing out everything that hasn't been worn in the last six months in order to make room for the new.

Kathleen shares three key steps in setting up your wardrobe to ensure you create some exciting looks with your current clothing, before going out to get the latest and greatest must-haves for the season.

She looks at:
  • what to keep, what to throw out and how to update your favourites,
  • how to inspire new combinations and looks, and
  • how to organise your wardrobe so that it's practical, useful and appealing.
Here are some things that have worked for me:

At the beginning of each season, I check what I have in storage and pull out items that reflect the current shapes and styles. (Just last week I retrieved a navy and white pinnafore, denim capri pants and a lightweight red and white stripe boat-neck knit.)

I pack away anything I'm NOT planning to wear, such as last season items, or anything that's not currently "in style" (fashionspeak for "Wearing this will date your look as soooo 2003! "). As I don't have much closet space, I use old suitcases for storage.

Finally, my closet is free of clutter. With what is left, I group like colours and items so they are easily identified. For example; I hang pants, jeans and skirts together, while folding or at least grouping tops and shirts. I also group light and dark colours and fabrics.

I store shoes in shoe boxes, but there are some great plastic boxes available like those from Pinklily or the Clear Shoe Box Co. They are a great space-saving solution, they allow clear visibility and keep shoes clean and tidy. (I find that if you do look after your shoes, eventually you will be able to wear them again!)

I also try to make sure accessories like scarves, belts and bags are within easy reach. (Kimberly likes to store her bags in store carriers - of course if we had acres of shelving they would be on show!)

As there is less to choose from in the final wardrobe, the majority of items can mix and match more visibly and putting an outfit together becomes a lot easier.

I really recommend a little wardrobe organisation. It certainly minimises the need to rush out and buy new clothes at the beginning of the season, and inspires you to look after what you already have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shop Around