Fashion on a Shoestring

Ever wondered how you can keep wearing the latest fashion on a tight budget?
We are two Sydney girls with young families, ridiculous schedules and not much spare cash ... but we love fashion AND we love the challenge of looking great on a shoestring budget! Join us as we share our ideas.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Return Policies are a Busy Girl's Best Friend

My husband jokes that I purchase 6 outfits and return 7! Hey, I'm not that bad ... but I must admit I do love to shop for clothing and accessories. For me it's the whole experience, even the "umming and arring" that I enjoy, not just the final result.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have much time for fun shopping lately. I have to snatch a half hour here or 10 minutes there during a grocery trip. Often, I make quick purchasing decisions (or impulse buy) in order to go home with something, as I know there won't be any occasions in the coming months when I will be able to make a day of shopping with a girlfriend.

Because of this, I've found it important to take some time to be sure about my purchases (albeit at home), as they have to be a functional addition to my already existing wardrobe. I love adopting the latest fashion in any given season, but the problem is that I'm not built like Gemma Ward (our very own Aussie supermodel pictured)! I have to carefully deduce which version of the bubble skirt, ankle length tights/leggings, high-waisted pants, etc would suit my size, shape and style best.

Sometimes I can't even try things on the minute I get home as I find I'm in demand straight away (kids!). I usually have to leave it for a quiet time when I can pull out complementing pieces and see how they work together. Often, looking at the purchase again, in a relaxed atmosphere, without any sales pressure and in natural daylight, all means that a better decision is made in the end. On the odd occasion when I'm still not sure about it, second opinions can be solicited at home, usually without any ulterior motives.

Since I often need to return an item, I've had to start shopping more often at stores which have a "no questions asked return and refund policy". These are usually chain-stores like; David Jones, Myer, Sportsgirl, Jeans West, Target, etc. Smaller boutiques usually allow return and exchange only and so I will only make the impulse purchase if I'm 99% sure.

At the end of the whole process, if I feel the garment doesn't do enough for me or my wardrobe, I can return the item to the store, without any guilt whatsoever. The best thing is that even though I might not keep the item (which doesn't happen very often), I still get to enjoy the whole process!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shop Around